[Gc] Problems with GC settings

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 03:00:42 PDT 2009

To make a long story short:
 - ECL uses the gc library, configuring it to use --enable-threads=posix
 - Before building our environment, we build the library and install
it in a temporary directory
 - When building ECL we include gc.h but the headers have no clue that
they were built with support for threads.

I discovered this because the headers do not overwrite the
pthread_create() routine.

On a closer inspection, gc_config_macros.h does not seem to be
generated, as it is the case in ordinary autoconfed libraries.
Currently I am being forced to define explicitely GC_PTHREADS or
GC_WIN32_THREADS before including gc.h and I do not like this -- seems
very fragile under change of environment or platform.

This is with v7.1, which is also the one available in most
distributions. Have things changed in CVS?

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)