[Gc]: Maintainers attention: libatomic_ops

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Thu Oct 1 15:18:05 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-02, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Petter Urkedal <urkedal at nbi.dk> wrote:
> > On 2009-10-02, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > Complicated regeneration...
> > >
> > > I don't understand - which of two patches should be applied you think (or both, or none)?
> >
> > The first one will silence libtoolize.  I think they're just warnings;
> > you can check if configure, ltmain.sh and the other files has been
> > updated.
>
> I don't think this patch worth applying as it complicates regeneration (you say: libtoolize should now put the m4 files into the m4 subdirectory, but I suggest not to commit them to the repo.)

Ah, that's what you meant by "complicated regenaration...".  I think
there is a point to the extra copying, namely that these m4 files makes
it into the tarball.  That could benefit someone applies a patch to the
tarball, and who have the auto* tools, but not libtool.

> > The second patch is completely optional, and helps reduce the noise in
> > the top-level directory.
>
> I don't like it neither (for the same reason).

The AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR will not cause any extra copying.  The same files
will be copied either to the project's top-level directory or to the
declared sub-directory.