[Gc]: Problems with GC settings

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:26:41 PDT 2009

2009/10/5 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:

> GC_DARWIN_THREADS is defined in gc_config_macros.h.
> Is the condition not including your case? (Could anybody suggest a better one?)

I have not seen those definitions take effect. I suspect that is
because they are incompatible with GC_PTHREADS -- that I needed to
define for older versions of the garbage collector.

> The settings are saved in config.h but only at GC build.
> You case save any settings you need in you project's config.h.

As I said in a different email, this is not the right way to go. You
can not save the settings in a file, config.h, which is not installed,
because we developers are not always in control of the garbage
collector settings, specially when we have to used a library built by
others.

Take for instance someqone that builds ECL in a Linux box running
Debian, or FreeBSD, or OpenBSD, all of them targets whibch may have
the garbage collector pre-installed. We need means to know whether the
garbage collector was installed with support for threads, and we need
that the garbage collector provides the wrappers for pthread_create
and other functions in platforms in which this is expected to be
needed.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC