[Gc]: Problems with GC settings

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 03:33:55 PDT 2009

2009/10/6 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/10/6 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
>> >
>> > So, you export your lib features list
>> > (i.e. install your config.h along with your .lib or .so),
>> > right? (Otherwise, a client could be broken if it
>> > manipulates pointers in threads.)
>>
>> I only export the features, not the things that were detected by
>> autoconf. More precisely, the main header ecl/ecl.h includes a file,
>> ecl/config.h, in which there are conditional definitions of things
>> like ECL_THREADS, ECL_UNICODE, etc, which the user may need to decide
>> how to write his/her code.
>
> And how is this distributed? Typically stand-alone libs
> have platform-independent somename-devel-version.tar.gz which
> contains only public headers (include/*.h). If I understand correctly,
> you can't have a platform-independent 'devel' pack for your library, right?

Hmm, I am not sure I understand you. ECL is distributed in source
form. Different distributions (Ubuntu, Gentoo, NetBSD ports, etc)
build packages from it. Typically you will find a runtime and a
developer package. The last one contains the installed headers,
including ecl/ecl.h that includes ecl/config.h (where the settings
were stored)

> I agree that we could do something like
> (add export the features) for GC. Do you have a working patch for it?

Seems to be the recurrent question in this mailing list, instead of
taking note for future developments, which is what I do with my
project

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC