[Gc]: Dependency tracking for configuration macros

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Mon Oct 12 10:00:58 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-11, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Petter Urkedal wrote:
> > On 2009-10-10, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> >> Hm, confused. From my point of view it has nothing to do with gcc. The
> >> .deps/atomic_ops.Plo gets created during the configure stage, and there
> >> gcc is only invoked for conftests. So I guess there must be some other
> >> magic.
> >
> > In my case configure only creates dummy files so that "make" does not
> > complain about the includes.  At least for GCC I think the actual
> > dependencies are created by the compiler, replacing those files.
>
> Just for the record, in libatomic_ops/.deps/ I have the 'dummy' entries.
> I was speaking about the toplevel .deps/

That's probably because they existed before running configure.  If you
remove the .Plo files from the toplevel .deps/, then configure will
re-create them as stubs.  The subs in libatomic_ops/.deps will never be
replaced since we have disabled recursive make in libatomic_ops.  In
fact, "AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([libatomic_ops])" is currently redundant.