Re[10]: [Gc]: garbage collection on OSX Snow Leopard

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Tue Oct 20 07:45:20 PDT 2009

Hi!
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/20 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> > Ok. (I've also fixed warnings shown by OS X in dyn_load.c on Oct 16 but the log still shows them...)
> > So, OS X 10.6 is working.
>
> Yes, seems to. I still have to find out about a problem with the
> generational garbage collector, triggering some uncaught exception.
>
> Regarding the warnings, the CVS log shows a date as late as 19/10/2009
> so it should contain your latest commits:
>
> $ cvs history | sort | tail -1
> O 2009-10-19 06:49 +0000 anonymous [1.57] bdwgc/include/private
>                =bdwgc/include/private=
> <remote>/bdwgc/include/private

Then the log (which I still observe) is dated, as it says:
dyn_load.c: In function 'GC_dyld_name_for_hdr':
dyn_load.c:1161: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast

Here's the code (after Oct 16):

STATIC const char *GC_dyld_name_for_hdr(const struct GC_MACH_HEADER *hdr)
{
    unsigned long i, c;
    c = _dyld_image_count();
    for (i = 0; i < c; i++)
      if ((const struct GC_MACH_HEADER *)_dyld_get_image_header(i) == hdr)
        return _dyld_get_image_name(i);
    return NULL;
}

As you can see, we compare pointers of equal type.

> > OpenBSD is not working (needs a volunteer).
>
> OpenBSD keeps its own port of the garbage collector (v7.1) with fixes
> that apparently have not been accepted upstream.

This one: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/devel/boehm-gc/ ?
It's of 7.0. I'll look it thru.

> > Solaris sparc/64 shared should also work (check your environment).
>
> I fixed the environment. Tonight it should be working again.
>
> Juanjo

Bye.