[Gc] Re: boehm-gc breakage between binutils 2.16.1 and 2.17 on FreeBSD [7.2]

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Sep 1 14:09:21 PDT 2009

Hi,

"Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com> writes:

>> From:  Ludovic Courtès

[...]

>> Is there any reason not to use
>> `AC_CHECK_LIB([dl_iterate_phdr])' for this?  This would be
>> more reliable and "future-proof".  (I understand this was
>> already done this way before your patch.)

[...]

> The advantage of doing it the first way is that the collector remains
> buildable without autoconf, e.g. with Makefile.direct.

My understanding is that `autoheader'-generated header templates
(config.h.in) are human-readable and documented precisely so that they
can be edited by hand (or replaced) when `configure' is not used.

Perhaps such #ifdefs could be moved into a separate header to use as a
replacement for "config.h" when `configure' is not used?

Thanks,
Ludo'.