[Gc] Question on avoiding data races (and compatibility with Mono)

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Thu Sep 10 11:48:53 PDT 2009

Hi!

It turns out that GC_get_heap_size() and friends are synchronized now (at least for half a year) but as I recall some projects (eg., Mono) with a modified libgc call them while holding the lock (from a proprietary callback during garbage collection or, even, with stopped world) - should we leave all as-is (letting them solve their problems - I dont see quick solution for it since it's impossible to temporarily unlock before calling that callbacks) or add unsynchronized GC_get_...() equivalents?

Bye.