[Gc] Re: Link failure on Cygwin

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Sep 17 05:18:18 PDT 2009

Hi Ivan,

Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> writes:

> ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic CourtХs) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Linking libcord against libgc fails on Cygwin:
>> *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive ./libgc.la.
>> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
>> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
>> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
>> See http://hydra.nixos.org/build/74624 for details.
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> Is the rest working?

Compilation fails at this point, i.e., after building libgc and before
building libcord and running the tests, as shown in the build log above.

> The problem seems to be due to the script creates static libgc.a but
> tries to use a dynamic one when linking libcord.

Which script?  This is all governed by ‘cord.am’, which seems to be
correct.

I don’t have much experience with Cygwin, so I can’t make much sense of
Libtool’s warnings (which lead it to discard ‘-lgc’ when linking
libcord).  Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Ludo’.