[Gc] Patch resubmission: proposed "extra" folder

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Fri Sep 18 03:46:06 PDT 2009

Hi!

This patch (ivmai147.diff), superseding diff41a [Nov 11], does a minor directory "restructuring". The following 9 files are moved (to new "extra" directory):
- add_gc_prefix.c
- AmigaOS.c
- gcname.c
- if_mach.c
- if_not_there.c
- MacOS.c
- msvc_dbg.c
- setjmp_t.c
- threadlibs.c

This patch greatly simplifies manual builds (that's why I would prefer checking it in for the current release):
1. build the test:
gcc -I include test.c *.c

2. build a shared/DLL lib:
gcc -I include -shared -DGC_DLL -o libgc.so *.c

3. build a static lib:
gcc -I include -c *.c
ar crus libgc.a *.o

This directory "restructuring" wouldn't (I hope) be a problem because:
- most of the moved files (except for MacOS.c, msvc_dbg.c) are "internal" to GC and not really a part of the produced gc lib;
- most GC users use the building scripts (or makefiles) supplied with GC, so the change wouldn't be noticeable to them.

Any objections?

ChangeLog entries:

        * add_gc_prefix.c: Move the file to the new "extra" directory.
        * AmigaOS.c: Ditto.
        * gcname.c: Ditto.
        * if_mach.c: Ditto.
        * if_not_there.c: Ditto.
        * MacOS.c: Ditto.
        * msvc_dbg.c: Ditto.
        * setjmp_t.c: Ditto.
        * threadlibs.c: Ditto.
        * EMX_MAKEFILE: Prepend setjmp_t.c with "extra" directory.
        * Makefile: Prepend AmigaOS.c, MacOS.c, add_gc_prefix.c, gcname.c,
        if_mach.c, if_not_there.c, msvc_dbg.c, setjmp_t.c, threadlibs.c
        with "extra" directory.
        * Makefile.am: Ditto.
        * Makefile.direct: Ditto.
        * Makefile.dj: Ditto.
        * Makefile.in: Ditto.
        * NT_MAKEFILE: Prepend msvc_dbg.obj with "extra" directory.
        * NT_STATIC_THREADS_MAKEFILE: Ditto.
        * NT_X64_STATIC_THREADS_MAKEFILE: Ditto.
        * NT_X64_THREADS_MAKEFILE: Ditto.
        * NT_THREADS_MAKEFILE: Prepend msvc_dbg.c with "extra" directory.
        * gc.mak: Ditto.
        * PCR-Makefile: Prepend if_mach.c, if_not_there.c with "extra"
        directory.
        * SMakefile.amiga: Prepend AmigaOS.c, setjmp_t.c with "extra"
        directory.
        * doc/simple_example.html: Update for threadlibs.c.
        * os_dep.c: Prepend included AmigaOS.c with "extra" directory.

PS.
This is my final patch submitted for this release (unless a bug is found).

The pending (yet) patches (I'm going to check them in during the next several days if no objections): ivmai129.diff, ivmai130a/b.diff, ivmai143.diff (after testing on WinCE), ivmai145.diff (after testing on WinCE).

And, a number of files haven't be yet de-tabulated: gc_priv.h, gc.h, os_dep.c, alloc.c, win32_threads.c, pthread_stop_world.c, pthread_support.c, misc.c, allchblk.c, mark.c, mark_rts.c.

Bye.