[Gc] Question on LARGE_CONFIG

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Fri Sep 18 11:23:53 PDT 2009

> From:  Ivan Maidanski
>
> Hi!
>
> The doc (Makefile.direct) says for LARGE_CONFIG:
> #   Necessary for heaps larger than about 500 MB on most machines.
> #   Recommended for heaps larger than about 64 MB.
>
> Q1. Are the both statements still in force?
I think the numbers were increased a couple of times since then.  The second number should probably be 500MB or 1GB.  The first number should be around 4 GB, aside from the GC_scratch_alloc issues we're discussing in another thread.

> Q2. LARGE_CONFIG Not recommended for heaps smaller than about what?
I think it adds on the order of perhaps 200KB to the memory footprint, though some of that will probably never be accessed for small heaps.  In a virtual memory setting, it's probably not a big deal.  For embedded systems, it may matter a lot.