[Gc] Patch resubmission: Default stop_func

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Sep 21 22:17:22 PDT 2009

Ivan -

I just got a chance to look at this, and I don't quite understand the logic.

GC_collect_or_expand() is called in cases in which we need more memory, but none is available in the existing heap.  I think your patch changes the nonincremental case to collect with a timeout here.  If it actually times out, you will end up growing the heap.  The problem is that for a long running application with fixed space requirements, this will probably happen regularly, and I suspect the heap will grow without bounds, since everytime it runs out, there is some probability it will grow the heap even if there would have been plenty of space after collection.

This isn't critical, since none of this applies if you don't use the new functionality.  But I wonder what the intent was, and if this is really useful as is.  At least we should document the hazards.

I really don't think there's a safe way to use GC_try_to_collect that doesn't involve collecting before you're out of memory.