[Gc] Newbie questions

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Thu Sep 24 11:10:40 PDT 2009

> From:  Lloyd Sargent
>
> On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:05 AM, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Lloyd Sargent <lloyd at s-squared-ranch.com> wrote:
> >> Hey folks, 30 year veteran here and the documentation is so
> >> confusing.
> > 21, to be correct ;)
> >
> > I agree, the docs are not perfect (and outdated in some places).
> >

> >> 1) First, what IS the license for GC for Windows and
> Linux? MIT, BSD,
> >> or GPL? If it is GPL I can't use it.
> >
> > The license is in doc/Readme. (Might be, it should be updated...
> > Hans knows better...)
>
> The way I parsed it seems to indicate the BUILD is GPL and
> the CODE is MIT (which is a good thing for me).
That's correct (for some definition of "MIT") as far as the gc library is concerned.  There is some additional GPL code in libatomic_ops that is not used by, or linked into, the gc library.  This ends up in libatomic_ops_gpl, or it's part of the libatomic_ops test code.

The collector license itself was written at a time at which there was relatively little standardization of licenses.  It's very similar to the MIT license and probably largely came from an early version of that.  There are things about it I would have liked to change, but the copyright is partially owned by enough large corporations that it seems to be too hard to get the attention of all the relevant lawyers.  And the FSF seems OK with it in GPL code.

Some of the more recent files in libatomic_ops are covered by a more modern MIT license.  For details see libatomic_ops-1.2/doc/LICENSING.txt.