[Gc]: Dependency tracking for configuration macros

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Fri Sep 25 15:42:55 PDT 2009

> From:  Ivan Maidanski
> I've deleted .m4 files and run autotools on Linux.
>
> autoreconf works correctly but configure failed with error
> "can't make a symbolic link" (that's because I've placed
> "bdwgc" on NTFS drive) and make, then, failed too.
> Everything works correctly on a native Linux FS.
Same here.  Except I didn't try the NTFS case.

> Should we fix this?
I'm with Petter on this.  If it's easy, great.

If it involves getting rid of the version number from the atomic_ops directory, even better, since that was on my list anyway.  Libatomic_ops should either be handled as a separate package, or should just use GC version numbers.  And I think the former option requires more work for which we're currently lacking volunteers.

On the other hand, if it's hard to fix, I think it's not unreasonable to require a *n*x file system for the *n*x build process.

I expect to check in my pending cancellation patches shortly.  Please let me know if I should check in Petter's patches from today as well.  Otherwise I'll assume that Ivan will do so and update configure.

Hans