[Gc] unresolved problems

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Sat Sep 26 15:03:05 PDT 2009

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Ivan Maidanski wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Hans -
>
> Could you resolve somehow the following problems: 1.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/3241
> ("MAX_HEAP_SECTS value" - I dropped the patch but how could the initial
> problem be solved?)
I think the right solution is to introduce another macro, say
MAX_HEAP_MAPPINGS, set that to a larger value, and use it as the size of
arrays that also include GC_scratch_alloc mappings or the like, like
GC_heap_bases.  I'm concerned about a blanket increase of MAX_HEAP_SECTS,
since it looks to me like that enlarges some of the arrays more than
necessary on platforms like Linux.  And we currently size different arrays
identically, eventhough one really needs to be much larger than the other.

> 2.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/3169
> ("Unexpected heap growth").
I'm a bit concerned that this really reflects a root scanning problem, and
the collector on Windows CE may be scanning parts of the heap as though it
were part of the root set.

If, on close inspection, I'm wrong, then yes, we should increase the
numbers.

Hans