[Gc]: Dependency tracking for configuration macros

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Wed Sep 30 10:18:06 PDT 2009

On 2009-09-30, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> Before running autoreconf -vif, I deleted all .m4 files. Am I doing the right thing?

I'm constantly deleting libtool.m4 first myself since it's outdated.
But don't delete acinclude.m4.  That one is part of bdwgc.

> If yes, this is a bit compilated, so should we remove these files from GC (if they are used only during regeneration)?

It's a matter of taste (and maybe heated discussions...), but the m4
files are not used by configure, so by deleting them we still provide a
working ./configure for the casual end-user while minimising the number
of generated files in the repository.

> If not, should config.h.in really contain undef GC version macros?

The way we do it, config.h.in should contain whatever Autoheader says,
and as said, we keep acinclude.m4.