[Gc] FW: GC: Time for GC final release? (draft patch for cancellation)

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Fri Aug 6 09:13:47 PDT 2010

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Ivan Maidanski wrote:

> Hello, Hans!
>
> Could you review my next version? (I even haven't compiled it - no
> enough time these days).
I know the problem ...
    It generally looks very good to me, based on inspection.  I did not
    yet test.  Thank you.

> Also, the Q: is it ok not to check for me!=0 in pthread_cancel()?
    "Me" is not a good k name for the variable, since it refers to the
    thread being cancelled, not the thread cancelling it.  I'd
    suggest "target".  I think you do need to check for null, and just
    return ESRCH, or at least not access the flags field, if it is null.
    pthread_exit looks fine as is.

> Q2: What are the conds of setting GC_INTERCEPT_PTHREAD_EXIT in gcconfig.h?
     We probably shouldn't bother intercepting pthread_cancel with
     NO_CANCEL_SAFE.  Pthread_exit should probably still be intercepted.
     My guess is that we should always intercept pthread_exit on Posix
     systems. Since we seem to have issues on both Solaris and Linux,
     it wouldn't surprise me if this problem were fairly pervasive.
     I'm not sure we need the macro.  I think pthread_exit needs to be
     treated just like the other intercepted pthread calls.

Hans