[Gc] Re: Problems with GC_size_map

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 1 23:58:42 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Bruce Hoult <bruce at hoult.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
> <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > In general I am worried that the garbage collector is performing rather
> bad
> > for a simple problem in which one builds and quickly discarding bignums
> --
> > pointerless memory, by the way --. Profiling shows that 80% of the time
> is
> > spent in the mark phase.
>
> You are not allocating the bodies of the bignums using GC_malloc_atomic()?

Of course I am. The whole bignum is a huge chunk of atomic memory, including
a few words for the structure of the datatype and the rest full of bits that
represent the bignum, using GMP. Other people have verified this behavior,
not only in OS X but also in Linux. I have tried both with and without
incremental garbage collection.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC