[Gc] Re: Problems with GC_size_map

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 6 00:46:25 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Boehm, Hans <hans.boehm at hp.com> wrote:

>  It looks to me like the representations of p1 and q1 get to be about
> 100KB?  But there are only about 4 such objects live at a time?  I would
> have guessed that that should be OK, so long as the false pointer density
> isn't too high for other reasons.  It might be good to look at GC_dump()
> output to see what the size of the root set is, and possibly GC_PRINT_STATS
> output to see if there are any obvious issues.  It does look like the
> collector may somehow be seeing more false pointers than we would like.

Yes, the bignums grow quite a lot, but they are very quickly replaced by a
newer one. Your suggestion sounds interesting: I saw the marker spending
quite a lot of time in routines related to blacklists. What you suggest is
then callling GC_dump() at some point? Does it stop the program?

> This is a very recent collector?  There were some recent fixes to reduce
> the number of statically allocated regions that need to be scanned on Linux.

Unfortunately it is not that new. I am stuck with 7.1 because other software
relies on ECL and can not use alpha versions of libraries.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)