[Gc] Re: Problems with GC_size_map

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 6 15:09:37 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Hans Boehm <Hans.Boehm at hp.com> wrote:

> I think you're misinterpreting the output here: 0/N blacklisted means
> that the section contains N blocks, and none of them are blacklisted.

[...] suggests that not much blacklisting is going on.

Thanks, indeed I was misunderstanding the output of GC_dump.

> I do see quite a few pointer-containing blocks on the order of 10KB.
> Does that make sense?  If not, it might be worth putting breakpoints
> in the allocation path to see where those are coming from.

The Common Lisp enviroment creates a number of constants at boot time. I
think those are the arrays you are seeing. However, those arrays are never
changed after creation. It was my understanding that thanks to dirty bits
and GC_enable_incremental() the cost of marking those arrays would be close
to zero.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC