[Gc] [libatomic_ops] bug with gcc/x86_64/CAS

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Feb 17 21:59:31 PST 2010

If I understand correctly, fix 1 overconstrains the location of result, which might generate worse code.  It also seems to be a less accurate description of what's going on.  I would also go with fix 2.

> 2. thanks for noting that __sync_... built-in funcs exist in GCC but:
> - from which GCC version they are supported?;
> - they are supported for all targets (where applicable) or
> for Intel only?;
> - it would be good if someone send me a draft (at least) code
> using them;
> - as only bug fixes are accepted for gc72, the changes would
> go to the next major release (unless Hans says the opposite).
I think it's fine to use __sync for certain platforms on which they are known to have worked correctly for a while.  Unfortunately, I don't think they are currently a very good generic solution to the problem.  Most importantly for this discussion, they don't always do what they claim.  For example, last I checked __sync_synchronize generated a no-op on X86.  It's unclear to me whether this is fixable, since a fix may significantly slow down a lot of working code.  Some of the Itanium primitives didn't have the right ordering constraints, which is probably fixable.

I think the right long term fix here is to go to the C++0x atomics.  At that point we can hopefully retire libatomic_ops altogether.

But if a particular primitive is known to do the right thing on a platform, as in this case, I don't see a good reason not to use it.  I think that's true for __sync_bool_compare_and_swap on X86.  (Unlike some other architectures, it's hard to get that one wrong on X86, since the machine instruction includes a full fence, which behaves as expected.)

In this case I'm fine with either fix 2 or __sync_bool_compare_and_swap for 7.2, but only in the X86-specific code.

Hans