[Gc] Re: Cmake and contribution model

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Feb 24 21:38:20 PST 2010

> From: Ivan Maidanski
>
> Hi!
> ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic CourtХs) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> writes:
> >
> > > I've just added CMakeList.txt, tests/CMakeList.txt and
> > > doc/Readme.cmake to the tree
> >
> > Does it mean that libgc now officially has 2 build systems?  (Which
> > also means that both of them are maintained.)
>
> This seems to be a question for Hans but...
>
> There is a lot of Makefile_XXX files in BDWGC - does this
> mean those target systems are officially supported and up-to-date?
>
> There is a demand for CMake build system in BDWGC (mostly for
> VC++). So let's add support for and maintain it (having
> several active contributors for it).
I think that's right.  We already have a bunch of different build systems.  A number of people, including me, still sometimes use the old Makefile.direct, even on Linux systems.  (It's a lot faster than a libtool-based build on the 133 MHz 32MB ARM I occasionally test on.)  So long as the build files involved are editable text files, and fairly transparent. I think it's not too hard to approximately maintain them.  And the ones that someone cares about should get fixed fairly quickly if we do break them.