[Gc] Re: questions on atomic_ops

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Tue Jan 5 23:32:03 PST 2010

Hi!
Dennis Sidharta <dennis.sidharta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Mr. Maidanski:
>
> I found your email address from the atomic_ops' ChangeLog. I hope you
> don't mind me emailing you directly as you seem to be the most recent
> active committer to the project.

Ok.

> I have a question regarding using atomic_ops on intel-64-bit Windows:
> 64-bit intel on Windows doesn't seem to be supported, is this correct?

There are 2 "intel-64-bit" Windows platforms - IA-64 (ia64) and AMD64 (X64, x86_64). The both are supported by the recent atomic_ops (v7.2alpha4) if GCC is compiler is used; for Visual Studio - only AMD64 is supported.

> However, from my limited knowledge of 64-bit windows, Windows seems to
> be using the same binary regardless of the underlying processor, and

If I understand you correctly, you mean Intel X64 == AMD64.

> so, I defined _AMD64_ anyway, and my simple application seems to be
> working correctly. Do you think this is safe?

I see you problem: you are using some version of VS 2005 which doesn't define _AMD64_ (but, anyway, defines _M_X64), right? If so, you can either:
- use -D_AMD64_ (it is safe); or
- fetch the latest libatomic_ops snapshot from the BDWGC CVS (I fixed this issue on 2009-12-17).

> Thank you very much for your attention! I'm looking forward to your reply.
>
> Sincerely yours,
> Dennis

Bye.