[Gc] FW: GC: Time for GC final release?

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Thu Jul 8 18:19:06 PDT 2010

It seems to me that we really want two patches related to cancellation that aren't yet in the tree:

1) We should deal with the fact that apparently on Solaris and probably on Linux we can't collect while a thread is exiting, since signals aren't handled properly.  This gives currently gives rise to deadlocks.  I think the only workaround is to also intercept pthread_cancel and pthread_exit and disable GC until the thread exit handler is called.  That's ugly, because we risk growing the heap unnecessarily, and possibly repeatedly.  But it seems that we don't really have an option in that the process is not in a fully functional state while a thread is exiting.

2) We want to make sure that GC_thread_exit_proc() is unconditionally invoked, even if the client isn't compiled with -fexceptions, but the gc is.  Maybe the best workaround there is to put GC_inner_start_routine() in its own file, and undefine __EXCEPTIONS in the gcc case at the top of that file.  I'm still nervous about whether this will actually cause the exit handler to be invoked last if -fexceptions is used when thread_exit is called.  This may require some testing.

I was hoping to find some time to work on this this week. But so far, it looks like I failed.

These are both a bit frustrating, because I think they're really problems in the underlying Posix layers that are likely to also affect other things.  And they don't seem to admit good solutions