[Gc] FYI for GC users on multi-threaded apps

Tracy Brown tbrown at perfnet.com
Tue Jun 8 21:51:26 PDT 2010

Honestly, I had only experimented with enabling posix threads on the configure script. It was an interesting exercise for me since what I had implemented was very experimental and the resulting architecture change had no peformance impact - if anything it helped.

Actually the thread specific data stuff was a generalization. What I had been doing was very odd and experimental and in a perfect world, should have worked. I looked at the source for GC and couldn't easily figure on a proper reason for my particular issue. I have a hunch it's TSD related but the way GC operates, it aborts when debug is enabled before the application would normally experience failure. I just figured you guys are really good and have code to deduce a sequence of evens leading into such as TSD style failure.

And really, I have no idea if I'm close to correct. I'm just grateful to have such a facility available to the public.

Cheers,
Tracy.