[Gc] make dist failure and aclocal.m4

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Thu Mar 18 03:52:23 PST 2010

On 2010-03-18, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:06:28 +0000 письмо от "Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com>:
> > The problem seems to go away if rerun aclocal and then regenerate everything else.  Is the problem just that the aclocal.m4 in the tree is obsolete?
>
> aclocal.m4 is removed as suggested by Petter Urkedal.

Sorry for the trouble.  I have been pushing for removing all generated
files which are not needed by an end-user who wants to build from CVS,
but I can see than aclocal.m4 must be committed if one wants to keep
keep the files consistent between the CVS and the distributions.

> BTW. "make dist" makes the tarball which contains a lot of stuff which shouldn't go to that tarball. (For a list of that files compare to gc-7.2alpha4.)

I think the distribution should contain all the CVS source plus various
generated files which may or may not be under CVS.  Since the Autotools
where designed for free software, I think the idea is that someone
should be able to take a tarball and make a fork based on it.