Re: [Gc] Use Case for Incremental GC

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Wed May 12 04:52:13 PDT 2010

Wed, 12 May 2010 14:14:07 +0300 Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo at ttmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> What are the typical use cases/scenarios for incremental garbage
> collection? For which malloc/free patterns I should prefer incgc over
> default scheme?
>

> Regards.

Think of incremental/generational collection as of an optimization that typically leads to shorter GC pauses. Among other optimizations are: THREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC (for faster malloc), PARALLEL_MARK (for shorter GC pauses on multicore CPUs).

But incremental collection might not work for your app (e.g., if you intercept SEGV). Note also, incremental collection is really supported on few platforms (there are 2 implementations for Win32 - GWW_VDB and MPROTECT_VDB but I can't say at present which one practically works better).

See doc/README for more datails.