[Gc] Performance of bdwgc7.2 had degraded compared to 6.8

Carsten Kehler Holst kehler at pdc.dk
Fri Nov 19 01:19:19 PST 2010

Has the performance of bdwgc7.2 had degraded compared to 6.8?

When some of our customers complained that the latest version of our
systems were slower (10-15%) across the board.

We tried to figure out what we had introduced to give this slow down.

It turned out that the slowdown came when we changed from bdwgc version
6.8 to version 7.2alpha4.

In my small test I have only been able to confirm a slowdown of
approximately 10%.

I've updated the GC to the latest from CVS and the slowdown is the same.

We are running on windows with the following settings, only some of them
has to do with the GC.

WIN32;NDEBUG;_LIB

GC_WIN32_THREADS;SILENT;NO_DEBUGGING;

ALL_INTERIOR_POINTERS;DONT_ADD_BYTE_AT_END;

LARGE_CONFIG;VIP_ALLOC_STATISTICS;

VIP_RUNTIME;GC_DLL;USE_MUNMAP;

VIP_SMART_ROOTS;_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

Do you have any idea why there is a slowdown?

Do we use the correct settings?

We are mostly just users of the system. It is part of our Visual Prolog
7 language implementation. BDWGC has worked very well for us and 10% is
not a huge problem. But we would like to know if we are doing something
wrong or if we are getting something for the 10% (i.e., if the
performance penalty is an acceptable trade of in exchange for a better
design or something like that). Our customer runs the system on a Citrix
farm so the slowdown means they have to go out and by more hardware,
unless of course we can find a speedup somewhere, but 10-15% across all
functionality is a lot in that respect.

I'm writing this in the hope that the GC experts on the list can be of
help.

If more information is needed please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards

Carsten Kehler Holst

Prolog Development Center