[Gc] Re: Are there any tuning options for thread local allocator?

Paul Bone pbone at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Oct 3 23:55:54 PDT 2010

Lothar Scholz <scholz at scriptolutions.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found that the malloc is still the serious bottleneck in my program
> when i go from 2 to 4 cores. I have the thread local allocation
> enabled but it seems that it keeps to few memory chunks local and so
> it has access the global mutex often.

I would also like to know this.  Specifically I have a program that
allocates many small cells.  I want to tell Boehm to cache more small
cells in it's thread-local pool so that it does global allocation less
often.  Perhaps each thread should take more memory from the global
pools each time it has the lock.

--
Paul Bone
Computer Science Research Student.