[Gc] (no subject)

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Sat Oct 23 12:28:04 PDT 2010

The collector generally does not trace from objects allocated with system malloc.  Doing so is difficult without understanding the system malloc data structures.  This usually means you should not store pointers to garbage-collected memory in locations allocated with the system malloc.  If you have to use some manual deallocation and store GC pointers in such objects, use GC_malloc_uncollectable instead of malloc.

When you call GC_MALLOC, the memory is obtained in big chunks from the operating system, and managed entirely by the garbage collector.  The collector maintains data structures that allow it to find all GC_MALLOC-allocated objects, check whether an address is inside such an object, etc.  For details, see http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gcdescr.html .

Hans