[Gc] Porting Mono's version of the garbage collector to a simple OS

MudgeMC at welchallyn.com MudgeMC at welchallyn.com
Mon Oct 25 11:21:30 PDT 2010

I am a part of a group that is porting Mono, which includes its own
modified version of the Boehm GC, to a microkernel called ThreadX.  Can I
get some suggestions on specifically what parts of code need to be changed
to suit this OS?

 - There is poor support for signals, so we'd like to avoid using them.
 - The OS exposes the bounds of the used stack for each thread. (scan the
stack)
 - The OS can force another thread to sleep and delay signal processing.
(stop the world)
 - A fixed amount of RAM will be used and there is no MMU; just malloc.
(use ECOS' tiny_sbrk?)

Because of the above, I assume a lot of the signal code can be factored
out.  Am I right on this?  What is the appropriate way to do this?
Pointers to docs that address this specifically are appreciated too.

I am not subscribed to this list (at the moment), please be sure to
include my email in the reply.

Thanks,
- Michael "Kipp" Mudge
Welch Allyn