Re: [Gc] atomic_ops on ARM compile bug

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Tue Sep 14 13:38:27 PDT 2010

Hi, Gregory!

I see the problem. It seems to me that the problem is not only for arm target.

The more reliable fix is to replace AO_GENERALIZE_TWICE with !AO_GENERALIZE_ONCE nad define the latter only for x86/amd64.

Hans -
your comments, please...

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:16:46 -0700 Gregory Farnum <gregf at hq.newdream.net>:

> I'm one of the developers on Ceph (ceph.newdream.net) and we've been
> using and enjoying atomic-ops in our userspace stuff. There's a recent
> compile-time bug report running on Ubuntu armel, available at:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ceph/+bug/635388
> (I've pasted in the compile error below. [1])
> As I imply there, I tried to trace through the macro generation and
> believe this is simply because ARM provides few enough hardware
> instructions that generalize.h needs to be run through a few times in
> order to generate all the macro/function calls in the correct order,
> so defining AO_GENERALIZE_TWICE for the arm architecture ought to
> solve this.
> Sadly, I don't have an ARM platform available to check and our brief
> attempt to set up a QEMU version failed, so if
> anybody could somehow confirm this solution for me, I'd appreciate it.

You don't need the target platform to see whether the compilation succeeds - just use mingwce or VC++ for arm toolchains.