[Gc] Re[6]: Boehm update in GCC

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Sat Apr 2 23:20:20 PST 2011

Hi,

Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:46:30 +0200 Kai Tietz <ktietz70 at googlemail.com>:

> Sorry, to hear that the patches done on gcc's svn for boehm-gc are
> useless for you.

I apologies I really meant "such big patch against an ancient version is not practically usable here" instead of just "useless".

>  Gcc based on boehm-gc 6.6 and did some extensions to
> it, which maybe are on boehm-gc's trunk, or might be not. This is an
> answer only you can really provide.

Both are correct. The major extension is ability to suspend/reasume (used in GCJ to implement the anticipated Thread.suspend/resume methods). This and other minor changes (like a change in GC_finalize_all) are discussed in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/2987

> That gcc folk doesn't use bare
> boehm-gc 6.6 is obviously caused by the fact that it had major issues
> and so needed some fixing.

Let's separate bug fixing (they do it on their side and we do the same on our side) from enhancing GC API.

> To update to 6.8 doesn't help, as AFAIK is x64 windows target not
> supported. So I have no interest to update to a version, which doesn't
> help me at all.

I meant compare gcc/boehm-gc with v6.8 just to get API enhancement details (no more).

> I use locally for me an unmodified 7.2 (alpha 5), but it is important
> that not just I have this.

Cool!!! You have integrated v7.2a5 with GCC. Congratulations!
Then what are we talking about?

> The uses of gcc want to be able to use it
> OOTB too. So I would like to update to 7.2 (5alpha) version as here for
> over a year now no better version is available.

Yes, a new version definitely should emerge soon.

Regards.