[Gc] Re: Re[6]: Boehm update in GCC

Kai Tietz ktietz70 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 23:38:18 PST 2011

2011/4/3 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> Hi,
>
> Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:46:30 +0200 Kai Tietz <ktietz70 at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Sorry, to hear that the patches done on gcc's svn for boehm-gc are
>> useless for you.
>
> I apologies I really meant "such big patch against an ancient version is not practically usable here" instead of just "useless".

ok, thanks for the clarification.

>>  Gcc based on boehm-gc 6.6 and did some extensions to
>> it, which maybe are on boehm-gc's trunk, or might be not. This is an
>> answer only you can really provide.
>
> Both are correct. The major extension is ability to suspend/reasume (used in GCJ to implement the anticipated Thread.suspend/resume methods). This and other minor changes (like a change in GC_finalize_all) are discussed in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/2987
>
>> That gcc folk doesn't use bare
>> boehm-gc 6.6 is obviously caused by the fact that it had major issues
>> and so needed some fixing.
>
> Let's separate bug fixing (they do it on their side and we do the same on our side) from enhancing GC API.

Well, I can post the differences in smaller pieces, if you prefer.

>> To update to 6.8 doesn't help, as AFAIK is x64 windows target not
>> supported. So I have no interest to update to a version, which doesn't
>> help me at all.
>
> I meant compare gcc/boehm-gc with v6.8 just to get API enhancement details (no more).

Well, I can try. But I think it is easier for checking the differences
directly to 7.2 version. AFAICS are just a few changes of interest.
The testsuite thing is for sure nothing as is for boehm-gc's cvs, as
it depends on gcc's internal configure stuff.

>> I use locally for me an unmodified 7.2 (alpha 5), but it is important
>> that not just I have this.
>
> Cool!!! You have integrated v7.2a5 with GCC. Congratulations!
> Then what are we talking about?

Well, I just test windows target stuff, but most patches done on gcc's
side are concerning the following points: GD/UX, Solaris,
mips-sgi-irix6, Darwin, some test-suite adjustments, THREAD usage
changes, Cygwin and dynamic registration, mips64-linux n64 ABI, and
some Mafile/Configure adjustments, etc.