[Gc] Re[8]: Boehm update in GCC

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Sun Apr 3 00:05:07 PST 2011

Hi,

Sun, 3 Apr 2011 09:38:18 +0200 Kai Tietz <ktietz70 at googlemail.com>:
> 2011/4/3 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sun, 3 Apr 2011 08:46:30 +0200 Kai Tietz <ktietz70 at googlemail.com>:
> >
> >> Sorry, to hear that the patches done on gcc's svn for boehm-gc
> are
> >> useless for you.
> >
> > I apologies I really meant "such big patch against an ancient
> version is not practically usable here" instead of just
> "useless".
>
> ok, thanks for the clarification.
>
> >>  Gcc based on boehm-gc 6.6 and did some extensions to
> >> it, which maybe are on boehm-gc's trunk, or might be not. This is
> an
> >> answer only you can really provide.
> >
> > Both are correct. The major extension is ability to suspend/reasume (used
> in GCJ to implement the anticipated Thread.suspend/resume methods). This and
> other minor changes (like a change in GC_finalize_all) are discussed in
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/2987
> >
> >> That gcc folk doesn't use bare
> >> boehm-gc 6.6 is obviously caused by the fact that it had major issues
> >> and so needed some fixing.
> >
> > Let's separate bug fixing (they do it on their side and we do the
> same on our side) from enhancing GC API.
>
> Well, I can post the differences in smaller pieces, if you prefer.

Size doesn't matter provided you contribute a patch (fixing some bug or introducing new functionality) against a relatively moderate version.

> >> To update to 6.8 doesn't help, as AFAIK is x64 windows target not
> >> supported. So I have no interest to update to a version, which
> doesn't
> >> help me at all.
> >
> > I meant compare gcc/boehm-gc with v6.8 just to get API enhancement
> details (no more).
>
> Well, I can try. But I think it is easier for checking the differences
> directly to 7.2 version. AFAICS are just a few changes of interest.

It's up to you to choose the easier way.

> The testsuite thing is for sure nothing as is for boehm-gc's cvs, as
> it depends on gcc's internal configure stuff.

Yes.

> >> I use locally for me an unmodified 7.2 (alpha 5), but it is important
> >> that not just I have this.
> >
> > Cool!!! You have integrated v7.2a5 with GCC. Congratulations!
> > Then what are we talking about?
>
> Well, I just test windows target stuff,

Oh. I see, Thread.suspend/resume is not implemented in GCJ for Win32. (And no changes were done in Runtime.runFinalization() reflecting the change in GC_finalize_all() semantics.)

> but most patches done on gcc's
> side are concerning the following points: GD/UX, Solaris,
> mips-sgi-irix6, Darwin, some test-suite adjustments, THREAD usage
> changes, Cygwin and dynamic registration, mips64-linux n64 ABI, and
> some Mafile/Configure adjustments, etc.

The question is: will you adjust gcc/boehm.cc to be usable with GC v7.2+ or request deprecated thread suspension functionality in GC (both for pthread and win32)? Unfortunately, I don't have time at present to help you answering this question.

Regards.