[Gc] Cmake and contribution model (Git)

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Tue Aug 9 00:15:39 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-09, Boehm, Hans wrote:
> I'm OK with just moving to git, if you're more comfortable with that.
>
> I haven't had a chance to explore github much.  Is there a way to give
> access to the original cvs maintainers, at least to the extent they
> still want it?  Ivan is currently doing essentially all of the
> check-ins (many thanks!), but I'd be more comfortable if others also
> had access, at least as a backup.

A common way to use git is that people clone the repo, do they work, and
someone is responsible to merge everything into an official repo.  (That
someone need not be the most active developer.)

I have seen some projectname/projectname URLs on Github, so they may
support a more centralised model where several people can commit to the
same repo.  I'm not sure though.

> My guess is that we don't want to maintain both cvs and git versions
> much past the point at which we're sure that everything works and we
> want to stay with git.  Otherwise that seems like unnecessary
> overhead.  Or are there platforms that have only cvs clients?

Github supports Subversion at least:
https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support
The original git server supports CVS, but I'm not sure whether github
does.

> Presumably pull requests don't work through firewalls on the
> submitter's side.  Thus I suspect many of us will still end up
> trafficking in patches.  But that's no worse than what we have now.

There is a command git-format-patch which can be used to create patches
which can be imported with git-am, including author and commit-logs.
git-send-email also sends the email.

Petter