[Gc] pthread_suspend failed - using pthread_exit(0)

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Wed Aug 17 16:46:40 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Paul Poley <baylorpaul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using the Boehm garbage collector, I have recently run into a case where I
> am getting an error "pthread_suspend failed" using OSX.
> At that point, the main thread had called pthread_exit(0), so as not to
> terminate while other threads are still running.  Shortly afterwords, the
> error occurs.
> If I wait on a condition (in order to keep the process alive), rather than
> invoke pthread_exit(0), the error does not occur.

If you look in darwin_stop_world.c you can find in GC_stop_world():

      for (p = GC_threads[i]; p != NULL; p = p->next) {
        if ((p->flags & FINISHED) == 0 && !p->thread_blocked &&
             p->stop_info.mach_thread != my_thread) {

          kern_result = thread_suspend(p->stop_info.mach_thread);
          if (kern_result != KERN_SUCCESS)
            ABORT("thread_suspend failed");
        }
      }

The code tries to avoid calling thread_suspend() in situations in
which it will fail (or for the current thread), but perhaps there is
another case that can be added.

In GC_suspend_thread_list() it is assumed that an error on a call to
thread_suspend() means the thread has been suspended (or terminated?)
since the threads were last enumerated and the error is basically
ignored.

    kern_result = thread_suspend(thread);
    if (kern_result != KERN_SUCCESS) {
      /* The thread may have quit since the thread_threads() call we  */
      /* mark already suspended so it's not dealt with anymore later. */
      if (!found)
        GC_mach_threads[GC_mach_threads_count++].already_suspended = TRUE;
      continue;
    }

Perhaps another test can  be added in GC_stop_world() that will detect
the situation where the thread has called pthread_exit(0) and avoid
the error.

Or perhaps it's safe to simply ignore the error, as in GC_suspend_thread_list().

Or perhaps #dontdothat.

I don't know enough about Darwin to say, but maybe someone else here
does, given the above code fragments.