[Gc] GC_get_bytes_since_gc locks

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:05:29 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Andy Wingo <wingo at pobox.com> wrote:

> > This is not possible, as I explained in my previous email. The only
> > reason why I need this getter is because I need to gather statistics
> > about allocated bytes and this has to be done in the garbage collector
> > hook before the counter is erased. The only way for this 4th
> > alternative is simply to renounce to this function and do our own
> > counter, with the performance loss this implies.
>
> Why not just use GC_get_total_bytes?

Because it wraps around. I have programs that run for 10 minutes and cons
enough memory that this counter is not sufficient. Like me, similar things
happen with other Common Lisp software out there, documenting whole tests
suits that build and destroy a lot of data.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)