[Gc] GC_get_bytes_since_gc locks

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 25 01:50:01 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Boehm, Hans <hans.boehm at hp.com> wrote:

> I gather that introducing a weak reference to the _inner() version,
> and calling the original version if it wasn't found, is not an option?
> I was thinking linker games instead of autconf, but that's admittedly
> somewhat Linux specific.

It is not only Linux specific, but it will not work. All versions from the
introduction of that patch will simply not work with our code, because
GC_get... locks, so calling that function as a last resort is not an option:
it will deadlock ECL.

I gather that on our side we will have to do the following:

* Detect the library version and refuse to build whenever the library is not
suitable (will have to investigate CVS to see on which alpha release this
was introduced, but currently we will refuse anything above 7.2.0)
* If some _inner() function is added or you decide to revert to the old
behavior (which does not seem the case), then accept upstream sources again
(again, via hardcoded #if/#else stuff)
* In the mean time keep our own set of sources patched to remove the locking
code.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC