[Gc] Re: libatomic_ops

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue Feb 22 12:38:24 PST 2011

Both C++0x and C1x standards are nearing completion.  They both contain closely related atomic operation APIs that in my (admittedly biased) opinion have been much more carefully designed than either ck or libatomic_ops.  They definitely benefited from experience with libatomic_ops and interfaces like the gcc __sync primitives.  Paul McKenney was a major contributor, so they also received input from someone familiar with the Linux kernel primitives.  If we want to make progress here, let's please work on better implementations of those in gcc etc., and then build the higher level libraries on top of those.  I consider libatomic_ops and the like a stopgap until those are widely available.