[Gc] MPROTECT_VDB on Darwin with strip

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Fri Jan 7 07:54:12 PST 2011

Hello all,

I've recently added the incremental mode support for Darwin on arm.

It works ok (both in single- and multi-threaded modes) except for the following: if the executable is stripped ("strip" is invoked w/o any options) then it aborts after the first real collection. Debugging is difficult since the symbols are stripped. The log tail is:

--> Marking for collection 2 after 82656 allocated bytes
Marked from 1 dirty pages
Collection 1 reclaimed 0 bytes ---> heapsize = 131072 bytes
World-stopped marking took 0 msecs (0 in average)
Abort trap

Can somebody:
1. explain me how the absence of symbols could influence the application execution;
2. Does the problem exist only on arm, or also on ppc or x86?

thanks