[Gc] RE: MPROTECT_VDB with PARALLEL_MARK

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue Jan 11 22:23:07 PST 2011

I'm not sure whether anything breaks completely.  I think it's designed not to.  However IIRC the combination of incremental GC and parallel marking:

a) Doesn't quite do what you expect, since GC_do_parallel_mark gets invoked even for an incremental GC and runs to completion, and
b) May have inherent problems with the current algorithm since the incremental GC steps may be too small to warrant starting up the helper threads on each step.

Generally, I haven't had a chance to experiment enough with this.	  Probably the most useful and easiest configuration to try to get to work is pure generational mode, i.e. GC_incremental && GC_time_limit == GC_TIME_UNLIMITED.