[Gc] boehm port to Native Client

Elijah Taylor elijahtaylor at google.com
Thu Jan 13 10:21:03 PST 2011

Hi GC folks,

I saw a little chatter in the archives related to porting libgc to Native
Client, so I joined this list to share some details.  I'm the engineer at
Google who ported of libgc to Native Client for Mono.  I've also included a
patch for vanilla gc6.8 in our naclports repository:
http://code.google.com/p/naclports/.  This version will be available to
users that want to use libgc as part of their Native Client projects.

Before porting gc6.8 I had attempted to port one of the newer versions,
gc7.2alpha4, but ran into snags.  The largest snag right now I think is that
gc 7+ includes libatomic_ops which will require some non-trivial effort in
order to work under Native Client.  Most notably we don't support signals;
that was the biggest effort in porting libgc in the first place for NaCl,
and I assume that will require the most work in porting libatomic_ops too.

Can someone give me the high level details of what kind of things we might
be missing if we only support gc6.8 instead of the latest version?  Because
of our thread stopping implementation, we may not even benefit from some of
the newer features.  I just wanted to get a sense of what the benefits are
of getting a newer version available for users.

-Elijah