[Gc] Problems with GC performance using gcj

Ben Keppler bkeppler at tridentms.com
Thu Jan 13 11:20:04 PST 2011

Hi Bruce,

A large portion of our churn occurs as a result of network packet traffic, so lots of byte arrays, strings, etc. that don't, in fact, need to be scanned.  The interesting thing is that we went through a several day thrash to create pools of network packets to reduce heap thrash.  It made a difference when running under the JVM, but not when compiled to native code with GCJ (implying the use of the Boehm GC).  It appears GCJ uses GC_malloc_atomic() at the very least for Strings.  I didn't do a complete analysis to prove it does so for byte arrays as well, but one assumes that since they were aware of the issue for Strings, they probably were for byte arrays as well.

One last factor to consider is that gcj appears to be using version 6.6 of the Boehm GC.  I don't know how substantial the changes are in the more recent versions or whether they could have an impact on the pause times.  Perhaps you could shed light on that.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Ben Keppler, Software Engineer
Trident Micro Systems