[Gc] Boehm GC and Iphone

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Thu Jan 13 15:32:53 PST 2011

2011/1/14 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> If the platform is not multi-core then parallel-mark mode should be off (either at compile time or at runtime).
> But turning on generation mode could reduce the GC pause on a single-core.

I've never tried generational mode, but I've always assumed that it
won't affect the maximum pause time (for a full collection) but only
make minor collections shorter.

When you're doing semi-real time things it tends to be the maximum
that kills you. A steady 12 FPS is more acceptable to users than 30
FPS that skips a frame or two every few seconds.