Re: [Gc] boehm port to Native Client

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Fri Jan 14 14:50:42 PST 2011

Hi Elijah,

Some things (and questions) I could point you (and others) to at this moment:
- the patch in  naclports repository contains a typo in a macro definition (MAC_TYPE -> MACH_TYPE);
- the patch in  naclports repository looks more suitable for gc v72 than that for mono/libgc;
- gc_pthread_redirects.h (which is a public one) should not test NACL macro (or, at least, while less desirable, it should be prefixed with GC_);
- it's not clear why you need to explicitly undef STACK_GRAN, USE_M[UN]MAP, etc. in gcconfig.h;
- is MPROTECT_VDB supported or not?;
- if you you want to port gc72 please use the recent CVS snapshot (it would be easier to me to review and commit it);
- not sure that HEURISTIC1 really works reliably there (in short, HEURISTIC1 means you treat stack pointer at GC_init call as stack bottom - is it guaranteed that GC_init call is always done at higher stack addresses than any other GC call);
- is the GC port compilable (and working) on other (non-Linux) platforms (eg., Cygwin);
- for non-static GC-internal symbols use GC_ prefix (eg. for nacl_thread_parked);
- define SIG_SUSPEND to -1 (instead of 0) as it is returned by GC_get_suspend_signal;
- GC functions called from NaCl it self (eg, nacl_pre_syscall_hook) shoud be tagged with some attribute (like public GC functions are) both for code readability and to prevent that symbols stripping when compiled as a shared lib with -DGC_DLL);
- libatomic_ops does not use signals API (except for CAS emulation which is not used for x86/x64).

PS. Let me not do the benefits analysis (probably someone else can do this).

Regards.