[Gc] Firefox

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 04:53:02 PDT 2011

On 06/07/2011 10:42 AM, Glauco Masotti wrote:
> Hi. I hope not to be out of scope here, but the thing seems relevant to me.
>
> Firefox is IMHO the best choice as a browser, but it's a memory hog.
> NoScript can help, but the heap tends to grow almost monotonically.
> After some hours browsing, if you have several frames active, it's easy to have a heap of 500-600 MB!
> At this point it's amazing that the program can take several minutes to shut down, before freeing memory!
> What about suggesting those guys in the R&D to use the GC?

This is rather assuming that the core problem is memory leaks.  I
suspect that it isn't: the state of those pages requires that much
memory.  Firefox is caching pages so that you can go back and forth
quickly.  I think it's just a trade-off between local memory use and
network traffic.

See browser.sessionhistory.max_entries

None of this means that there aren't bugs that cause memory leaks, of
course...

Andrew.