[Gc] a bug in v.7.1 ?

Glauco Masotti glauco.masotti at libero.it
Tue Mar 1 08:35:21 PST 2011

 Hello. I am back here after some years.
The reason is that, after using gc-7.1 without any problem for nearly 2 years, I faced an error which I think can only be explained with a bug of the collector.
The code is complex, so that it's not easy to replicate the bug in a simple example.

It happens that I get an allocated array overwritten when writing another array!
They should have nothing to do with each other, but in fact they map to overlapping addresses in memory!

Well, I don't see how this can happen if not for the fact that the collector considers erroneously the space of the former array as no more used
and thus frees it, so that this space is allocated to the latter array.
I got the same error linking with gc-6.6, while version 6.2 works fine (I tried with MUNMAP enabled).
I would like to know if anyone has faced a similar behavior, and thus if this is a known problem,
and if corrections concerning this has been made in the latest v. 7.2, so that I can try it with a reasonable confidence.

Comments and suggestions will be greatly appeciated.

Best regards,
--- Glauco Masotti