Re: [Gc] Question about GC

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Sat May 21 00:21:10 PDT 2011

Hi Mirek,

Please try the recent GC snapshot from CVS first (v72a5).

Fri, 20 May 2011 10:45:45 +0200 Mirek Miedziarek <mirras at tlen.pl>:

>  Hi
>
>  I am a Delphi programmer
>  and wanted to introduce the garbage collector in my application.
>  I use a Delphi wrapper for GC available at http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/21646
>
>  I have compiled latest version of GC 7.0 and adjust wrapper.
>
>  Unfortunately I get error saying something like
>  "Collecting from an unknown thread"
>  which I suppose means I need a multi-threaded
>  version of gc.
>  I've tried to compile such but with no results:(

Every thread should be registered either manually or by calling GC_beginthread_ex

>  Thus I kindly please, could you provide me
>  a way to get compiled multi-threaded version of
>  gc for windows x86 platform?

Eg. (if you use Embarcadero):
bcc32 -Ox -a8 -w-par -w-csu -w-ccc -w-rch -w-rvl -WM -4 -DALL_INTERIOR_POINTERS -DJAVA_FINALIZATION -DGC_GCJ_SUPPORT -DNO_DEBUGGING -DUSE_MUNMAP -DGC_THREADS -DTHREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC -DPARALLEL_MARK -I.\include -I.\libatomic_ops\src -c extra\gc.c

>  Additionally I remember that some previous version of gc
>  raised with "too many roots" on the same application,
>  but I am not sure if it is an issue in the latest version (7.0) of gc,
>  but if so then how to increase the MAX_ROOTS limit?

Use -DLARGE_CONFIG

>  Thanks in advance!
>
>  Cheers from Poland
>  Mirek