[Gc]How many targets does bdwgc support now?

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Sun May 29 01:33:32 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Jie Liu <lj8175 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I only see many platforms bdwgc support: Linux, *BSD, recent Windows
> versions, MacOS X, HP/UX, Solaris, Tru64, Irix and a few other operating
> systems. (http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/). But I have not
> seen any information about the targets bdwgc support, like x86, arm,
> powerpc.

bdwgc is written in C. It is much more dependent on the functions
available from the operating system than on the CPU.

bdwgc always needs to have a way to obtain the contents of the CPU
registers to use as GC roots. This can benefit from specialized
assembly language, but usually the setjmp() provided by the operating
system is sufficient.

Certain build options require the use of atomic operations but these
are also provided by a library, not by bdwgc itself, and simple uses
don't require it at all.